Wilson's Whiskers

A Kindergarten Class blog. This blog is for children, parents, educators, and friends who are interested in our class. It includes class happenings, examples of the children's work. Lots of photos!!

Monday, August 21, 2006

A Little Rest and Relaxation

There is much to be said for a little "R&R". Sometimes we as adults crave a little rest. That Power Nap can do so much for us. We know that it makes us "feel good". And research shows that we will be more alert, have less stress, and improve our cognitive functioning! WOW!!! What tremendous benefits we gain, and the price is right!! Oh, how I wish we all could have the opportunity that the children in my class have. I wonder what the level of our performance would be with a little afternoon rest time.








I feel so fortunate that I work in a school district where "What is Best For Children" comes first. Due to the so called "No Child Left Behind Act" which focuses on the "high stakes" testing to determine whether a school is passing or failing, some school administrators have eleminated play time and rest time for young children. These are two of the most important components of a child's development and school success.

I think of rest time in our class as a great gift. It is at this time I share my love of music with the children. We listen to the classics, jazz, R&B, folk music, oldies, show tunes, holiday music etc. This week we are listening to Rod Stewart's American Songbook. Many times I have had parents to comment about their child's recognition of different songs and style of music. It makes my heart sing. So you see, rest time can be a wonderful learning time too.



As you can see, the children in our class have learned the true value of a little nap and are taking full advantage of it!!!! I only wish they knew just how lucky they are.




Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Be very quiet. We are resting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home